In 1955, the Mission Board of the Michigan District of the Lutheran Church, Missouri Synod purchased the last parcel of the Yarger farm. The five-acre plat was located in the center of a growing residential community at the corner of Capital Avenue and Minges Road.
On St. Patrick's Day 1957, the first worship service of St Mark Lutheran Church was held in the Township Community Building on West Territorial Street. The service , led by Vicar Theodore Taykowski, had 75 in attendance. The first full time pastor of the congregation was installed on October 6 of that year. He resided in the farmhouse located on Minges Road. Groundbreaking for the new St Mark building was held on May 25, 1958. The cornerstone was laid on July 20, and the fellowship hall and Sunday School wing were dedicated on November 2. The fellowship hall served as both the sanctuary and gym for the new congregation.
By 1972, it became evident that the congregation was growing out of its home. On December 24 of 1972, groundbreaking ceremonies for the new sanctuary were held. The building was completed in 1973 and the Zimmer pipe organ was installed in 1977.
The congregation has experienced growth of 26% per year over the last seven years. The results of the growth are seen in the following ways:
Purchase of land on Beckley Road in 2001
September 2002 opening of Our World for Children under the direction of Lindsey Schuemann. This is the resultant of a 14,000 square foot state-of the-art expansion of the educational wing.
September 2003 Our World for Children offers kindergarten classes, which later expands into Crosscreek Christian School in 2004.
St Mark Lutheran Church has been blessed at the current location. Their goal is to use this success as a springboard at the Beckley Road property.